Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Help! I'm Sick

“Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”                        Joshua 1: 6-9

Have you ever been so sick that you didn't think you would ever feel normal again? That is exactly how I felt over the past couple of days. I was so weak last night because I had not been able to eat much. I had laid around all day and did not think I would even be able to function today. Last night, in spite of having no appetite, I forced myself to eat a decent meal and felt my energy returning. Today, I feel more normal; however, my appetite has still not returned completely.

This experience has caused me to think about how we can become so sick in our spiritual lives that we lose our spiritual appetite. Being in the habit of regularly studying God's Word and spending time with the Lord can be equated to regularly eating a meal. When we allow the things of this world (ie tv, movies, music, Facebook, etc.) to crowd out our time with the Lord and studying His Word, we can become spiritually sick.

It usually doesn't happen all at once. We miss time with the Lord once, and it is like skipping a meal to do something unhealthy. If we continue to skip a meal to do something unhealthy, it is like purposefully exposing ourselves to a sickness we have no immunity to until we eventually become sick. When we become sick spiritually, we will lose our desire to spend time with God.

When we realize that we have been spiritually sick, we are faced with the choice to do one of two things. We can choose to continue to allow other things of this world to crowd out our time with the Lord or we must force-feed ourselves the Word of God. Sometimes we find our appetite for God's Word has returned, but other times, our appetite continues to be weak.

Often this weak appetite, or lack thereof, for spending time in God's Word and in prayer is our first indication that we are spiritually sick (see Psalm 119:9-16, 33-40 below). When this becomes apparent, we need to press through and make ourselves partake so that we will overcome our spiritual sickness. As we read God's Word and see God's offering of love and grace that are new every morning (see Lam. 3:22-24 below), we will have more desire to read His Word and spend time with Him. May you desire to increase your appetite today!

In His Grace

Psalm 119:9-16, 33-40
How can a young person stay pure?
    By obeying your word.
I have tried hard to find you—
    don’t let me wander from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.
I praise you, O Lord;
    teach me your decrees.
I have recited aloud
    all the regulations you have given us.
I have rejoiced in your laws
    as much as in riches.
I will study your commandments
    and reflect on your ways.
I will delight in your decrees
    and not forget your word.

.....................................................

Teach me your decrees, O Lord;
    I will keep them to the end.
Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions;
    I will put them into practice with all my heart.
Make me walk along the path of your commands,
    for that is where my happiness is found.
Give me an eagerness for your laws
    rather than a love for money!

Turn my eyes from worthless things,
    and give me life through your word.
Reassure me of your promise,
    made to those who fear you.
Help me abandon my shameful ways;
    for your regulations are good.
I long to obey your commandments!
    Renew my life with your goodness. 

Lamentations 3:22-24
 The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
    His mercies never cease.
Great is his faithfulness;
    his mercies begin afresh each morning.
I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance;
    therefore, I will hope in him!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and honest discussion for the purpose of edification. Please keep your discussions civil as any comments that berate one another will be removed. May we all encourage one another in the Lord, acting in love, as He desires us to do. If you are not a Christian, you are welcome to post comments and questions here, but be considerate of those with differing beliefs.
In His Grace!